Laphroaig 15 - 46%
From the distillery
Fifteen years on Islay brings extra depth to Laphroaig’s unmistakable smoke. Bold, coastal and uncompromising, this is a classic Islay single malt with more time to develop richness, balance and complexity.
Laphroaig 15 Year Old returns to the core range after a ten-year absence, bringing a more considered expression of the distillery’s unmistakable Islay character. First released in 1985, this is a whisky shaped by time, with the depth and complexity that comes from fifteen years of maturation. Bold, coastal and uncompromising, it stays true to Laphroaig while offering extra richness and balance.
Appearance: Old gold, beads before coalescing and slowly falling as thin, oily legs
Nose: Lemon and grapefruit citrus, gently medicinal peat smoke, smoked fish, damp straw and coastal air
Palate: Medium bodied with a touch of creaminess. Maritime saltiness, smoked haddock, candied citrus notes are joined by vanilla, heather honey and cracked black pepper. A few drops of water bring a little more smoke and spice
Finish: Long, lingering and smoky. Soft phenolic peat smoke, coastal salt and sweet, creamy vanilla together with a touch of peppery warmth
Summary: The return of the much missed 15 year old, and what a return it is. I’ve been fairly critical of Laphroaig more than one occasion over the last few years but they’ve really hit the mark with this one.
At 15 years old you don’t expect that huge phenolic punch that was so characteristic of their 10 year old expression, it’s still bold and robust but the added maturation has brought a softer, more refined and elegant feel. The star of the show is that long, lingering, smoky hug of a finish, to the point it wasn’t staying on the palate too long because I was so keen to get to the finish.
For me, this is Laphroaig as it should be, smoky, phenolic and coastal brine. I really enjoyed this year’s Cairdeas French Oak but this is another step up. The original 15 year old was always the Laphroaig I saw as a dram I reached for when I fancied something a little special, this iteration may not be the same but it still manages to fill that space.
Non chill-filtered, no added colour and bottled at a decent 46%. Currently priced at £79, it’s not cheap but there aren’t many 15 year old whiskies that are these days. I strongly suspect this one won’t be the last bottle of this that sits in my whisky cabinet.
If you would like more information on this whisky, the distillery or any of the other Laphroaig whiskies, follow the link to the company website.

