Port Dundas 16 Year Old - Brave New Spirits ‘Ghost of the Canal’ - 58%

 

Fresh from the successful release of their Voodoo range comes the Cask Noir Editions series from Brave New Spirits. As the name suggests, the range takes inspiration from classic movies and novels from a bygone era, whilst giving a nod to the distillery itself.

The Cask Noir Editions series will be comprised predominantly of single cask bottlings, mainly single malts with the occasional single grain. All presented at cask strength, with no added colour and no chill-filtration.

‘The Ghost of the Canal’ is a 16 year old Port Dundas single grain from a first-fill Laffite wine barrique and bottled at a very respectable 58% abv.

The name refers to Port Dundas being a ‘lost distillery’ and its former Glasgow canal side location.

Tasting Notes

Appearance: Old gold, forms a thin line which beads before gradually falling as thin, oily legs.

Nose: Earthy, decomposing leaf litter, pine resin, dried fruit and Parmesan cheese.

Palate: Dried fruits, musty library books, struck matches and a smattering of caramel.

Finish: Even more of that sulphurous brimstone note, dried fruit and caramel linger with a little cinnamon heat.

Overall: I have an uneasy relationship with grain whiskies, I’ve tried many including several older ones and have really struggled with them. Reading back through my tasting notes it’s hard to see an enjoyable whisky in there, but in truth I genuinely did like it. I’m not sure if it’s because of that strong sulphuric note (at a level which normally would be too much for me) masking some of the notes I usually find unpleasant in grain whiskies or some other factor at play.  

I found this Port Dundas to be well balanced and interesting, although it’s definitely a whisky which will divide a room. The price on launch will be just over £85, even though I enjoyed it there were others on the tasting session I preferred so it’s not one I’d rush out to buy. That said, I’m certainly glad I had the opportunity to try it.




Labels

Show more