Cameronbridge 37 - The Whisky Barrel - 51%

From the Whisky Barrel website

Cameronbridge 37 Year Old 1982 vintage Lowland single grain Scotch whisky. Single cask refill barrel #TWB1005 bottled 2019 for The Whisky Barrel Originals series. 164 numbered bottles. 

Tasting notes: 

Appearance: Burnished gold, forms a thin line which gradually falls as thin, oily legs.

Nose: Coconut mushroom sweets, marshmallow wafer biscuits, vanilla cream, cinnamon and just a hint of creamy coffee.

Palate: Slightly oily mouthfeel, and a gentle entrance followed by a burst of marshmallow, milk chocolate Bounty bars, vanilla, icing sugar and sweet milky coffee, with a little old oak and peppery spice. Water brings out a mild tannic astringency.

Finish: Dusty oak shelves, fresh coconut, latte with a shot of vanilla syrup, white pepper and cinnamon.

Summary: I’ve never been a big fan of grain whisky and, despite trying a number of older bottlings, I can honestly say Cameronbridge and I have never really got on. This one however, may just have changed my mind. Those 37 years in a refill bourbon barrel have done much to tame its nature and bring out the best qualities of the spirit. 

It still wouldn’t be my first choice in a line-up, but I wouldn’t refuse if offered a glass which, for me, is a huge leap forward with this distillery.

A huge thanks goes to Paul @pswhisky for the opportunity to try some incredible whiskies on this tasting session. If you’re not already following him on Twitter, I would highly recommend it together with checking out his website.

Labels

Show more